October 31, 2012

Tex Saverio ‘I always carry my imagination with me’

Bruce Emond, WEEKENDER | Tue, 05/29/2012 2:36 PM |


Tex Saverio became an overnight sensation at the 2010 Jakarta Fashion Week, with his theatrical catwalk show and ornate, edgy designs leading to glowing comparisons with the late, great British designer Alexander McQueen. Just as Jakarta fashionistas went gaga for his designs, so did pop music’s eccentric lady herself after an item about the designer appeared on the blog of global gossip phenom Perez Hilton. And so it came to be that Lady Gaga was photographed in a Tex design in US Harper’s Bazaar, bringing the shy and diminutive 28-year-old’s name to a mainstream and international audience. Here Tex talks about admiring late French queens (no, not Yves Saint Laurent), an Italian fashion stallion and his big plans.
My earliest memory …
When I was in at school, I remember that I was always drawing anime and cartoons in class. And I started to draw dresses after reading a manga called Rose of Versailles, the story of Marie Antoinette, the last queen of France. I was so inspired that I imagined that I lived in that era.

My heroes are …
My parents. They have taught me to be a mature man, how to be responsible for every decision I take, even at a young age. They let me decide about right and wrong so that I could learn how to take responsibility. They always support me even though many underestimated my decision to become a fashion designer while I was at school. I wouldn’t be who I am today without my parents.

My friends are …
Not many. I prefer quality over quantity.

I describe myself, in three words, as …
Stubborn, careless, perfectionist … Really?

The talent I wish I had …
Magic.

I am proudest of …
Myself? No idea.

I would never, ever …
Leave fashion. 

The low point of fashion is …
Insecurity. 

I most admire …
Valentino. Nobody lives like Valentino.

People would be surprised to know that I …
Cannot sew. 

Don’t ever call me …
Nothing. Call me anything. If you know what I mean (smile).

I laugh at …
Stupidity.

When the going gets tough, I …
Silence myself and think.

My best trait …
None (laughs). No idea. Seriously.

And worst …
My fourth answer, I guess.

The last time I cried was because …
It wasn’t really crying, it was more like I broke down. It was a few months ago, when I was doing a collection. Too tired, too much pressure, so little time.

If I could change one thing about myself …
Nothing. Can I change something else besides myself? Then that would be the traffic in Jakarta.

If I could ask anybody, anywhere, a question, it would be …
Valentino. No questions, just teach me.

If I could live anywhere, at any time …
Hm. It would be Paris, now. I want to be a part of the international fashion league.

My fail-safe fashion accessory …
Hoodie, obviously. My hair is a mess, can’t really set it right. 

I always carry with me …
My imagination.

My life motto is …
Do your best, let God do the rest.

Something I find unforgiveable is …
Rudeness.

In 20 years from now, I will be …
Tex Saverio, designer from Indonesia. Still.

No comments:

Post a Comment